2019 Cook-Off Rules The Oyster Cook-off is supported by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Natural Resources Seafood Marketing Program, the St. Mary’s County Department of Economic and Community Development, and the Rotary Club of Lexington Park.
NATIONAL OYSTER COOK-OFF
Part of the US Oyster Festival in St. Mary’s County, MD
Download 2019 Cook-Off Rules in a printable Adobe .pdf file
Saturday, October 19, 2019
St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds
THREE CONTEST DIVISIONS
Soups & Stews, and
GRAND PRIZE TOTAL – $1,300
Contestants must submit one or more recipes by August 31, 2019. Please mail, fax, or email your recipe to:
NATIONAL OYSTER COOK-OFF
C/O: US Oyster Festival, P.O. Box 766, California, MD 20619
- Type or print your titled original recipe on 8½” X 11” paper. On each recipe note the category being entered and all ingredients, and provide full preparation instructions.(Original Recipe = contestant must be the creator of recipe and able to attend contest in person to prepare the dish for judging; no substitutions allowed). Include name, address, telephone number, and email address on the bottom, front side of page. If available, a photo of hte completed dish is appreciated.
- All recipes become the property of the National Oyster Cook-Off. Entry constitutes permission to edit, adapt, publish or otherwise use recipe without further compensation.
- Finalists will be notified by September 15, 2019 and must respond with commitment to participate by September 20, 2019. There will be 9 finalists to compete – 3 contestants per category.
- Evaluation ofo the finished dish by the panel of judges is based on flavor, originality, predominance of oysters, color, andattractiveness of presentation.
- Finalists are responsible for transportation to St. Mary’s County, Md., to prepare recipe at Cook-Off. Fridaynight complimentary hotel accommodation are provided for contestants, and all are invited to attend the welcoming reception on Friday evening.
- Finalists will provide all recipe ingredients, mixing and cooking utensils. Fresh oysters will be provided for you.
- Fresh oysters must be the predominant part of the dish. Recipe must use a minimum of 1 pint of oysters or 1 dozen fresh oysters in the shell. Contestants must specify whether they want shucked or un-shucked oysters. If your presentation requires oyster shells, you must bring your own sterilized shells.
- Contestants are limited to 1 hour for the prep and cooking of recipe. Recipes must be prepared double, one set-up for the judges and one for the photographers and press (this second portion will be served to the crowd for the People’s Choice votes.)
- The Cook-Off is open to everyone.
Oyster-cook-off-finalists-fact-sheet-2019 (Will be made available in 2020)